How to Get Published as an Early Career Academic
English: Shared Futures. 5th July 2017.
Professor Martin Paul Eve, Birkbeck, University of London
Why do we publish?
To be read. To be assessed. [Not to be paid.]
The Symbolic Economy Maps onto the Real Economy
Problem 2: Public access
- Increasingly educated populace
- Institutional missions to benefit society
- The academy becomes irrelevant
- Especially the humanities
Problem 3: Restrictive Re-Use Rights
- Photocopying licenses
- Text mining/derivatives prohibited
- Inclusion in Wikipedia and other resources
- Community translation
- Third-party re-use rights
Open Access (OA)
Background image © PLOS. Used under a CC BY-SA 3.0 license.
- Peer-reviewed research
- Free to read online
- Permission to re-use
- Gold: at publisher/source
- Green: institutional/subject repository
- Gratis: free to read
- Libre: free to re-use
Presentation licensed under a CC BY-SA 3.0 license. All institutional images excluded from CC license.
Available to view online at http://meve.io/ESF12017.